What Would You Like for Christmas
I used to love hearing that question from my parents when I was a little girl! Now that question usually gets asked by me rather than to me…but recently the Lord asked me just that:
What do you want for Christmas?
I was a bit taken aback; after all, Christmas is about what He’s given us for Christmas. What do you ask the Almighty God of the Universe for? While I’m not going to present my wish list here, His question reminded me of something else He said to me several years ago, and that reminded me to always live in expectancy and thankfulness.
It was on a New Year’s Eve and I asked the Lord if He would “give me a gift every day this coming year.” His response: “I gave you a gift every day last year…” In my mind’s eye, He showed me a picture of a road I had already traveled, and it was scattered with unopened gifts. I was shocked! I think I walk as a pretty appreciative daughter of God…at least I try to. But I had apparently missed a lot of what He was offering. Scripture says that “every good gift and every perfect gift comes from the Father…” (James 1:17) That means that every time something good happens in the day, it is a gift God has sent us! Equally, every time I am strengthened to walk through difficulty, He is affirming again and again that I’m not in this alone. He is always with us, pouring out the good, and holding our hands through the bad. Yet we miss so much of what He offers. And…note the every! He’s behind it all, and He loves us and longs to pour out gifts on His kids.
Can I encourage you that in this busiest season of the year to look for the gifts the Father is offering you today? In the last 24 hours, these are the gifts that I have discovered He’s given:
- Finding the perfect gift for someone! (Yes! He even cares about that!)
- The spectacular sunrise that took my breath away.
- Hugs from grandkids!
- Accidentally running into a girlfriend in the market.
- Wonderful worship at church.
- An overwhelming sense of God’s presence.
- The Christmas tree is set up! Hurray!
- Lunch with a friend who I haven’t seen in a very long time.
- Beautiful wind this weekend. (I love it when those December Santa Anas begin to blow. Though that isn’t traditional “Christmas weather” for most of the country, it is in SoCal. It’s beginning to feel a lot like Christmas!)
- Thanksgiving leftovers. (Mmmmm…what more needs to be said?)
- Peace. Peace for the Sabbath. Peace for the Season. Peace in my physical body. Peace in my family. Peace in the midst of busy-ness.
And that’s only one day!
What do you want for Christmas? And what gifts is He giving you today? Find them! Thank Him! Open them! And have yourself a merry little Christmas!